Rooibos tea shrub grows mainly in the Cedarberg region near Cape Town, South Africa. Also known as red bush tea, it has remarkable health benefits. Rich in antioxidants, this tea can be used for deriving unique skin benefits as well. We have to remember that nearly 2 per cent of whatever we apply on skin joins our blood stream. Therefore, rooibos tea extracts are contained in several Herbally Radiant products in combination with other herbal ingredients. Some of the main benefits are :
1.Rich in antioxidants :Rooibos tea contains a wide array of antioxidants, which help protect the body in a number of ways. Two polyphenol antioxidants called aspalathin and nothofagin are found in high concentrations in rooibos tea. These antioxidants protect the body by fighting free radicals. These are unstable cells, which attack healthy cells in order to stabilize themselves. The polyphenols also have anti-inflammatory properties and can safeguard against heart disease.
2. Can relieve skin conditions –A recent study found that rooibos tea can help you to look more beautiful! Rooibos tea contains phenylpyretic acid, which can help to improve acne, psoriasis and eczema. You can apply a freshly brewed and cooled tea bag to the affected areas and it will soothe and heal any inflammation.
Caffeine free – Rooibos tea grows without caffeine and does not require any chemical process usually required to remove caffeine. It is thus a good herbal drink for every age.
3. Prevents against some cancers –Some studies have demonstrated a link between consumption of rooibos tea and a reduction of cancer-causing chemicals. This is because of the high level of dominant antioxidants, some of which have anti-mutagenic (anti-cancer) properties. This means that they defend cells &DNA against damage and inhibit them from developing into cancer.
4. High mineral content –One of the key health benefits of rooibos tea is that it contains several minerals that are vital to health. These include: magnesium (essential for the nervous system), calcium & manganese (essential for strong teeth and bones), zinc (important for metabolism) and iron (critical for helping blood &muscles distribute oxygen).
5. Improves circulation –One of the many potent antioxidants in rooibos tea is called Chysoeriol. It can improve circulation by preventing the activity of the enzyme that triggers cardiovascular disease. Drinking rooibos tea also has been known to lower blood pressure and cholesterol.
6. Relieves stomach complaints –As rooibos tea contains high levels of flavonoids, especially one called quercetin, it has the ability to relieve numerous abdominal ailments such as cramps, diahorrea and indigestion. Flavonoids are known help to reduce spasm, inflammation and allergies. It has also been widely stated that the health benefits of rooibos tea extend to alleviating colic in babies.
7. Aids absorption of iron –Unlike most black teas, which prevent the body from absorbing iron effectively because of the tannins they contain, rooibos tea supports the body in absorbing iron. Rooibos tea contains less than half the tannins of black tea.
8. Caffeine free – Rooibos tea grows without caffeine and does not require any chemical process usually required to remove caffeine. It is thus a good herbal drink for every age.
9. Can protect against Parkinsons/Alzheimers disease –Drinking rooibos tea regularly can protect against a process known as lipid peridoxation. This occurs when free radicals damage brain cells and nerve tissue. If this is prolonged, it can lead eventually to progressive and deteriorating brain disease, such as Alzheimer’s.
10. Calming effect –Rooibos is unique in that it can be consumed as often as you wish and at any time of day. Due to high mineral content and lack of caffeine, it is known to help people feel calm and relaxed. It is thus a good herbal drink for every age.